House #1: "H"... Repo, and needs lots of cleaning up but would probalby be decent with some wallpaper stripped, floors cleaned, carpet in living room ripped up (wood floor underneath). Bonus... has an apartment built above the garage. With its own entrance... kitchen and bath as well. It needs finishing, but Ry keeps rambling about renting it out to some guy he works with.
- Huge house, plenty of room for us to grow into (2300sq ft plus 500sq foot apartment).
- I LOVE the layout.
- New windows. New siding.
- Priced PERFECTLY.
- Wood floors throughout,
- 4 bedrooms, 2 bath.
- 2 car garage was converted to one car garage. Where did the other space go? Turned it into a stairway to the apartment upstairs (again, it has its own entrance separate from the main house), and a mudroom from the now-one-car-garage into the main house. We more than likely wouldn't use the apartment... wasted space, IMO. I'd rather have a 2 car garage and no apartment. However its there so whatever.
- Its not really in a "neighborhood" but it is on a decent street, although not one I'd necessarily have picked out to live on, but it is a decent street- pretty decent houses on the road. Its across the road from a high school. In a school district that I have never really thought of sending my children. Its across town from our "preferred" school... so commute would be bleh... although doable if I was working in the district (we want to send the kids to the school district I currently work in). HOWEVER.... I have a friend who teaches in the district where "H" House is... and he loves it- says the teachers/admin is great.
- Has hot water heating... meaning... no forced air. No central air. Meaning... lots of window a/c units in a large home. Eww.
Typical tri-level with an additional family room built on. We vetoed it because it only had 3 bedrooms and the "basement" is really only a family room and utility room... so no major storage or space to use as a home office.
House 3: "T"
The house I've been stalking... the house I really really wanted to walk into and love. The house where I can see us taking walks in the neighborhood with our kids and waving at our neighbors as they water their lawns.
I love love love the area. LOVE it. I love the idea of the house. But... I just don't know. I have hesitations about it and I think thats a sign. Although I don't want it to be a sign.
- Love the neighborhood
- Has 2 car garage with door to back yard... perfect for dogs to enter to "dry off/de-mud"
- Has full unfinished basement with tall ceilings... perfect for us to make into a family room, laundry room, an office and a 4th bedroom in the future. Plenty of space.
- Lots of windows, lots of light (newer windows as well)
- Has central air
- The house is basically the size our home now (900sq ft) PLUS a dining room and additional bathroom... with a better layout, 2 car garage and full basement. So, lots of extras, but as far as basic, finished living space at move-in... its not that big of a step up (total sq foot is almost 1400)
- Has wood siding... you know the dark stained "lodge" looking siding? Meaning: maintenance. Or would need to be sided in the near future.
- Kitchen is small
- Bedrooms are not that large... third bedroom is as small as the boys' rooms now (9x11) and the other two rooms aren't all that huge.
- We would have to put money into the basement to make that living space useful for us... and we'd eventually really need that additional living space. Although... Ry swears it wouldn't be THAT much to do.
What is more important... the house and how it fits your family or the area its in?
Or... maybe we just haven't found the right place. But oh lord I feel pressure and like the clock is ticking. Hudson will be here soon... hopefully the inspections and appraisal on our house will be done within the next week, and closing will be around the first of June. GAH!