Here are some of my thoughts... they'll probably be random but I swear, after the season premeire on May 25th I kid you not I spent the entire next day thinking about them. Thinking about how tense they were towards eachother. How sad it was that their marraige had come to this.
Team Jon or Team Kate? Well, I used to really like them both. Some would say she's a bossy wench and he has no balls and that (in old episodes) they had no love or respect for eachother. I, however, always felt that they had a comfortableness, sureness about their relationship and I related to that. Anyone close to Ryan and I know that I can be a bossy bitch and that Ryan takes a lot of crap from me. He's nowhere near as laid back as Jon and will stand up for himself and toss my bickering right back at me but we're comfortable enough with eachother and we love eachother enough that we know that whatever is said is blowing steam, in the heat of the moment and we're done and over it not long after. Water under the bridge. I used to really think Jon and Kate had that comfortableness with eachother but obviously Jon wasn't happy with how things were. And from what I've seen on their recent episodes, he's decided this life isn't what he wants so he's going to make a fresh start. After all, he's "only 32" and he's "sad but excited about the fresh start." Gag.
I'm all Team Kate, can you tell?
Here are some of my random thoughts on all this. My "reasonsings" for things that are being said, speculations that are being made. Obviously I really don't know jack about what is going on inside their relationship, this is all just my thoughts and opinions on what I've seen/been shown on TLC.
- Everyone says Kate has changed so much... she has a new hairdo, a tan, a rockin bod and great fashion. So what. Yes, she does. She's finally beyond the "survival" mode of having 6 babies in her house and is finally able to give herself a little attention. And speaking of changes... look at Jon.... earrings, driving a $40,000 2-seater sports car, hanging out with women at bars, wearing teenage looking clothes. They both have changed... how can you point your finger at either?!
- I hear flack about how the show was the demise of their relationship. I don't think I could believe that if this were true they would honestly keep the show going. Yes, it makes them a ton of money but I think they are both out for the best interest of their kids (when it comes down to it) and if that were the case I believe they would stop the show if that would save their marriage.
- The show obviously isn't the issue as they are still divorcing and are still moving forward with the show. They will just be filmed with the kids separately.
- Jon complains that he doesn't like being on the show... doesn't like the spotlight etc. He sure doesn't seem to be complaining about his new wardrobe, his new sportscar and custom OCC bike. Remember, Jon, you wouldn't have all this stuff if it wasn't for your kids... or your show.
- On Kate and her bossiness.... from what I've seen Jon is very... sluglike. He doesn't seem to take initiative to do anything unless he's told. And with 8 kids in the house (I guess you could say 9 if you count him?), things have to be orderly and luckily Kate is very orderly. You can't always be sweet and cordial when things need to get done PRONTO with 8 kids. Hell... I only have 2 kids and I can get pretty snippy (as can Ryan!) when we're under pressure/rushed/stressed etc. I can't imagine if we had 6 more kids to deal with!
- I don't understand how things could go so downhill in such a short time. They JUST renewed their vows in Hawaii in August 2008. And now, just 10 months later (less, if you count that the filming happened before Mother's Day..) they are divorcing.
- In the season premeire Jon was whining that Kate was gone a lot on her book tours and that he was home with the kids since he didn't work. And that he didn't like his "job" of being a stay at home dad. Tough shit. How many years did Kate stay home with 8 kids... 6 being infants/toddlers? The HARD ages? And he's complaining that he has to play daddy all day while Kate makes money now?
- This recent episode Kate mentioned Jon won't talk to her or tell her why he is so angry at her. Jon dances around any mention of exactly why they are divoricing. Kate says she is not thrilled with the decision but she supports it if it brings peace to the house and for the kids. All that makes me feel like it is Jon who is wanting the divorce... that Jon wants out.
- Jon seemed so insincere when he'd quickly toss in "for the kids" at the end of every statement that's seemingly selfish.. I just need to do what's best........ for the kids!" All the while, he's totally zoned out visualizing the lap dances he's going to be getting in New York at his bachelor pad at Trump Tower.
- Have they not explored marriage counseling? I've never heard anything mentioned about that.
- A previous episode awhile ago showed Jon and Kate in their early years. They were so lovey dovey. And when they met... Jon was 22 and Kate was 23 (I think).... Jon said so himself, on camera, that he wasn't doing anything with his life. He was just bumming around... didn't want to get married... didn't want to have kids etc... So then he met Kate, they got married and seeked fertility treatments. Ok, you don't do that all on your own. He had to have had his say in it.
I won't lie. My stomach had knots in it when I read that they filed papers to dissolve their marriage. I even shed a few tears. Its incredibly sad to see all that they've gone through... to see them barely acknowledge eachother now... I just wanted them to hold hands and kiss and make up. Kate had said that she doesn't know what Jon wants... she doesn't know if he even knows. She doesn't know if he realizes the repercussions of his actions right now.
I may be naieve to point the finger at him, but I am. I'm just thinking to myself... who would want to be with him now... sure, he has money... his KIDS money. He has EIGHT kids. Seriously? That's serious baggage. I hope that he will realize what he's doing, what they are doing, and they will seek help and work things out.
GAH. How's that for a vent? And its not even my life!!